Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A trip down memory lane with the grandkids

My life has had so many wonderful moments with my family given to me thanks to Melinda. I have been with the girls since they were little all the way up to now when the eldest girl will be turning 18 tomorrow.  Tempus Fugit!


Rain as a baby. Look at that smile!









Here is the beginning of our shared family. Nikki was Melinda's daughter and Rain and Sky came with Nikki when she moved down here. It was the beginning of something that would affect me the rest of my life. Even though we lost Melinda in 2007 she left behind a legacy.


 This was when I first met Sky. She was just a baby with such fine, light hair it wouldn't stay down and looked almost white. Big eyes. She wasn't talking yet when I first got to know her.

Melinda, my late wife, and rain when she was 2 years old. I love this photo. 


Rain blowing bubbles out in the yard at our little house. She was so easy to please and she enjoyed such little things. And so inquisitive.


Here is Sky during her Head Start years. She loved to make art and was very good at it. These days she enjoys books. 



We lived in this little 2 bedroom house with their mom. It was crowded but fun and busy. The girls were growing up so much! Sky above is brushing my hair and there she is about 2 sleeping.

This one is one of my favorites. Sky in her cool sunglasses makes me smile  :-)


Rain is feeding her dolly. So intent on her motherly duties!


The BIG KID bus! How exciting!




Rain's first day of kindergarten. So nervous but so excited for the big bus and the big school.  Seeing her getting on that bus was a big moment for all of us. And there she went.....starting school. 



A year after Melinda passed away Ocean was born. This photo is of Rain, Sky and Ocean in their family portrait. 


This photo was actually taken in the dark with a flash camera. We were singing happy birthday to her and i guess she didn't want to hear it. Ha. Got her a spongebob cake and I bought her a mini electric guitar. 


Just giving her a squeeze! Ocean is 2 now.


Sky and Ocean. So sweet!




I love this photo of Rain and Sky. So pretty and peaceful looking. 




Took Ocean to the park. She is almost as big as I am! I think she will be tall. It was a beautiful day 




Ocean getting used to a headlamp maybe be a runner like her grandma. Getting started on her strength training too with an exercise ball. They loved playing with my exercise stuff. 


This was a day all three of them were playing outside on their bikes and just goofing around. Rain was being extremely silly. Sky was hanging out watching the action. Ocean was enjoying her tricycle. It was a lovely summer day.




Goofing off with cat face   


I took this quick candid shot of Rain. I love it so much. Her easy smile and smiling eyes. She looks so happy and relaxed. Getting bigger all the time!








Sky trying on the marathon gear. Maybe she will go for one someday! She loved to wear the reflective blanket and the medal.





Sky is ready to be a marathon champion! Look at that face. Ready to take on the world!


This was my first photo taken with Savanna. She was born after Ocean. So little here!



Savanna falling asleep at the Women's Reproductive Rights Rally. It wore her out! she is wearing her pink ribbon






Ocean, Savanna and I last summer. Two shiny girls and a very proud grandma.








Getting
      some
          hugs
              from
                  Rain
              and
    Sky

Love my girls!!!! 








Ocean, last November, celebrating her 9th birthday. She is getting to be such a big girl. Time goes by so quickly. It's important to capture what you can while its here.


A photo of the whole family. Nikki, Rain, Sky, Ocean, Savanna and the little guy with the Ipad is JJ. The whole crew present and accounted for!



So many years later and we are still a great family. Rain is turning 18 tomorrow. An official adult. From little tiny to lovely young woman. Sky isn't far behind her--turning to an interesting young woman herself. Savanna and Ocean are in school and JJ will be following soon enough.


I have such gratitude for all these times with the kids, with Nikki, with Melinda. Families aren't always born of blood but of love.

I love my family so much and so happy to have them. Everyone growing up before my eyes and I get to see all the changes and experiences. I am a very lucky woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment