Saturday, September 3, 2016

I'm missing someone tonight



Mel

I'm missing someone tonight
soft curling hair
dark eyes and soft voice
tie-dye shirt she wore all the time
smell of cigarettes and canadian royal
on her breath on a friday night
her breathing to me in voice so sweet
“You are an angel in heaven,
I love you sooooo much.”
our bird feeders, fried chicken for dinner,
her love of country ribs
fishing on a summer evening
baiting chicken livers for catfish
she told me it was better fishing
after the rain.
Children calling in the yard,
the fire pit I dug and built
lit up against fireflies flitting
around the tiki torches in the yard
and the moon all big and round
above our love.
Above our home where love and faithfulness
met and lived and ran through
everything we did, everything we touched.
Our crowded, loud and always busy home.

Heather Lake
In Honor of my late wife Melinda


No comments:

Post a Comment