Saturday, March 23, 2019

North Dakota-1977

North dakota 1977

I walk outside in the winter,
The air to me smells like raw bacon.
I do not know why.

The snow blows in a blindness of white
 the sky a plate glass grey.
I walk to school,
8 years old and I walk alone.
I will find my way there.

My shoes shelve snowy flakes
upon my small, cold toes
and though my coat is warm
I still breathe the icy morning
my breath puffing out in long,
white strands.

This early, there is only the
low, milky sun and I
following our selected courses
And I ask the birds as I pass by
“Where do you go when the wind blows?”.
I worry for the birds.

I sift through snowy flakes on the ground,
feeling the small, cold pearls
of frozen bits here and there.
Making a wish that my eyes could see
something beyond the white
and feel warm again.

But here the air is cut through
like knives in my lungs.
I walk still down the street
And think of nothing.

Mind blank like the white morning.



Heather Lake






No comments:

Post a Comment