Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tips and tricks for positive thinking--turning a bad day around

When I am having a bad day (and I know some people will argue that phrase with me but oh well) I have some ways of making it better. Here are some of my tips and tricks that work well to get me out of a negative headspace and make it a better time for me and everyone around me.

  • Think of something else. The skill of distraction is a basic emotional survival skill. When something is upsetting me the worst thing to do is gnaw on it like a dog with a bone. The problem just gets bigger and bigger until a small well has become a huge sinkhole. Some of my go-to distractions are music, stand up comedy on YouTube, a walk or run, a bike ride where I go really fast and lose myself in it, art/decoupage, playing with my cats, reading, cleaning.
  • Do something for someone else.Call somewhere and set up a volunteer shift. The best way to improve your day is by improving someone else's. Give someone a little something. Pick some flowers for a friend and surprise them with them. Bake a cake and share it with some friends. Visit a nursing home and play cards with the residents. There are so many things you can do. Get out of yourself and your problems will shrink.
  • Don't be afraid of comfort foods! I say this because people sometimes want a certain food because it gives them comfort in troubled times. It might be chocolate chip cookies, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, something your mother or grandmother used to make. But people eat these and then spend time feeling guilty about eating them. DON'T DO THIS! They are called comfort foods for a reason: because they help us cope. If you want some of these eat them. Just don't eat the whole plate of cookies or the whole pint of ice cream. BUT...don't eat them if you are going to follow it with guilt and shame thoughts. That will only make you feel worse and the "comfort" in the food is lost.
  • Tune into the world around you and put the I-pod/I-pad/Kindle/I-phone away. I have started making myself un-hook from technology at least once or twice a day. I read in Scientific American Mind recently that loneliness can lead you to an early grave however they find that even engaging in some small talk every day (with the bus driver, store clerk, table busser) can help ease that loneliness and make you healthier. Plus then I give myself opportunities for interesting connections with others and that feels good.
  • I take a nap. Yep. I am a big napper. If I have time during the day I take a nap. I have been one of those people who sometimes plan a day around a nap. Sleep helps everything feel better and gives you more ability to handle things. On that note: 8 hours sleep. Put the computer down an hour before bedtime, dim the lights, wear a sleep mask if you are around blinking blue lights (it has been said that blue light can disrupt our circadian rhythms) and don't eat any big meals before bed. Turn off the TV too and perhaps read a bit or do some meditation.
Well there are my big tips. Hope it might help you...they sure help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment