Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Celebrating Mom











My mom has had a difficult life. She has weathered it with grace however it has not been easy. I wish I lived closer, and perhaps someday I will, but when I do get to spend time with her it is a wonderful thing.

She celebrated her 71st birthday last weekend. My aunt gay put together a grand party at her assisted living facility and family came from all around. My mom, in her usual manner, seemed pleased but reserved. But I knew she was touched by all the attention.

I love my family. I live so far from them, at least for someone without a car, however I enjoy my time with them very much. Coming from a very small nuclear family--only my dad, mom and I--I treasure my aunts, uncles and cousins very much. My grandparents are all passed on. My dad also is gone. So here is my mom--she is holding steady--and I love her so much. I appreciate how hard things have been for her and appreciate my family who takes care of her and all the care she receives at her care center. I wish things had been easier for her but, like I said, she has taken it all in with a grace that belies the difficulty of her years.

She became mentally ill in 1984 when I was 14 and before that weathered many storms with my father--also with a mental health diagnosis himself--and yet was always such a positive influence on me. We were the best of friends growing up and that hasn't changed much over the years.

My card said "You are my best friend."  and that is the honest truth.




No comments:

Post a Comment